The whole team at Cold Star strongly believes that food gives us all an opportunity to share and connect. We also believe that we have a responsibility to give back to the communities that support our business.
The Community Food Project is our way of giving, sharing, and connecting with the people in our communities.
Once a month Cold Star, with the help of other participating sponsors, donates food to non-profit agencies on Vancouver Island. We encourage food suppliers to donate rather than ‘dump’ their mis-shipped, mislabeled, and package-damaged products. We also purchase any food items not donated each month, typically high protein items like cheese.
We deliver the bulk food items (chicken, cheese, eggs, meat, peanut butter, yogurt, bread, etc.) to the Blanshard Community Centre in Victoria. It is here that a volunteers divide the donations into equal parts and the other Neighbourhood Houses come and collect their individual donations.
The Neighbourhood Houses use our food donations to help create healthy meals and snacks for children, young and/or low income families, youth at risk and isolated senior citizens. Many of these people live in relative poverty and isolation. The Neighbourhood Houses provide good nutrition, cooking lessons, and the ability to break bread within a supportive environment.
Cold Star’s Commitment
- Cold Star oversees the entire Community Food Project. We are committed to seeking out donations from like-minded business partners.
- We will pick up your donation of food and ship it at no extra cost. We will ensure the monthly shipment of food to the Neighbourhood Houses is consistent and reliable.
- We will track the usage of all donated foods by gathering the usage reports from the participating Neighbourhood Houses.
- Once per year, we will compile the data from the Neighbourhood Houses and submit a report to each sponsor.
- We ensure that the donated food is not used in a ‘food-bank’ style operation. Each Neighbourhood House uses the donated food within their already existing programs.